Rufus is the best tool that is available to make a Bootable USB Device by using the ISO image. So, if you are looking to get more information about Rufus tool free and wanted to download it, then you came to the right place.
Because in today’s guide, we will discuss the significant features of Windows Universal USB Installer.
Also, I will show you how you can make a bootable USB or CD/DVD by using this tool since there are so many tools available on the internet which are used to burn ISO image file in the USB device.
Rufus is also one of them, and it is a free tool that you can use, and even if you are a developer, then you can change or add new features in it.
|Updated||1 day ago|
What Is Rufus
Rufus is the free and open-source utility program that is used to format and create a bootable drive. This free tool is a modern replacement of the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool. First, the version of beta/alpha launched on December 1, 2011, and it supports only MS-DOS.
Later they update it to 1.0.4, and they added the FreeDOS feature as well.
After the release of 1.1.0, they also added the support of ISO image, and then in 1.2.0, they launched a version with MS-DOS and Free Dos support.
The latest version of this tool supports the UEFI boot, and they added compatibility of Windows 7, Vista, 8, 8,1 & 10 as well. Instead of this, Rufus supports Linux Distribution, including Kali Linux, Fedora, Ubuntu, etc.
Rufus tool has some other features as well, which was highlighted below.
Make Bootable USB
With the help of Rufus, you can create a bootable USB drive to install Windows directly using your Pen drive. It supports all the latest and old versions of Windows, including XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10.
This tool is not only suitable for Windows, but it also supports the Linux distributions as well. Now you can create a bootable DVD by downloading ISO of any Linux and then directly install it.
If you don’t know the English language, then here is the best thing about you as this tool also supports multiple languages. Here is the list of languages which are supported:
Bahasa Indonesia, Bahasa Malaysia, Ceština, Dansk, Deutsch, English, Español, Français, Hrvatski, Italiano, Latviešu, Lietuviu, Magyar, Nederlands, Norsk, Polski, Português, Português do Brasil, Româna, Slovensky, Slovenšcina, Srpski, Suomi, Svenska, and Türkçe.
It also supports the formatting of your USB drive, and you can format the device in FAT, FAT32, NTFS, exFAT, UDF, or ReFS file systems.
In the latest version of Rufus tool, the developer has added an ability in which you can directly download Windows ISO by using this application. You can download Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 with different architectures and different packages.
If we talk about the speed, then no one can beat this fantastic tool, and it is the quickest tool ever made to make the bootable devices. The max time to burn Windows 7 x64 in a Pendrive is 00:03:25, which is 60% faster than any other tool.
Easy To Use
If you don’t know much about making a bootable device, then don’t worry, this is very easy to operate, and everything is impeccable and clean.
A man with zero knowledge or skill of the computer and also use this because it doesn’t ask for much information. All you need to do is select your ISO image file and then click on Start, the ISO will then automatically installed in USB.
Free of Cost
Are you thinking that this would cost you money? If so then you are wrong because this is free open-source software that you can use without paying a penny.
Download Rufus 2020
So, as we have understood the value of this amazing tool now you will be wondering how to download it for yourself. If that’s true then don’t worry about this, because I am going to provide a complete step by step guide to know how you can download Rufus tool by using our website.
Just like other websites we never use pop-up or in link advertisement because we understand that pain. Instead of this, some people get confused about downloading from our website.
Here is the step by step guide:
1. First of all click on the download button which is provided below and after this, you will be redirected to our download page.
2. Here on this page, you can see more information about the product including its size, version, etc.
3. Now again you will notice a download button is provided there so you can click on that button and it will redirect you to the Mediafire page.
4. In Mediafire, you will see a green button labelled Download Now when you click on that you will notice a countdown of 5 seconds. When that timer ends it will launch a window where you will be asked to choose a destination to save the file.
5. I would recommend you save the file at desktop because when we move to use guide it will be easy to find it. After this just click on Download Now and your file will start downloading.
That’s it now within some time your file will be downloaded and you can then move to below guide on how to use Rufus tool.
How to Use Rufus
Ok, guys so as we have now downloaded the Rufus tool so it’s time to learn how to burn Windows in USB by using this application. Please follow all the steps carefully otherwise you may damage your Pen drive or may lose personal files.
Step by step guide to burn Windows in Rufus tool:
1. First of all, you need to download the ISO image file of any Windows which you want to burn in USB. You can download ISO by following these URLs: Windows 7 ISO Download Free | Windows 10 ISO Image Download 32-64Bit
2. After this connect your USB/Pendrive with your computer or Laptop and then open Rufus tool from Desktop. First, right-click on Rufus.exe and then click on Run as Administrator, a dialogue box will appear so just click on Yes.
3. Now you need to click on the drop-down menu under Boot Selection and choose Disk or ISO. After this click on the Select button which is located right side of Boot Selection.
4. It will launch a new window where you will be asked to select an ISO image file, so open that folder where you downloaded ISO image and then select any image which you want to burn.
5. Just select ISO and click on Open, this will load Windows ISO in Rufus.
6. Now don’t touch any other option simply click on the Start button located below and you will see a warning message. This message is only a reminder that you should move all your files from USB because this action will format it.
7. Just ignore that message and click on Yes, now wait for some time this tool will start burning image into your USB drive.
Within 4 to 5 minutes you will see a label Ready this means the image has burnt successfully in your USB drive.
That’s it now you made a bootable device and it is ready to use, just plug it into your computer and install fresh Window using Pendrive.
What is Portable Rufus
This is the tool that doesn’t require installation and works perfectly like another software. It is used when you don’t want to use any specific app for a longer time and only wanted to do some tasks.
Just like that Rufus Portable is an application that doesn’t require any installation but still, you can use it and make a bootable USB drive.
This tool doesn’t occupy much space but if you still wanted to save that space then you should probably go for the portable version.
It is because we only use this application to burn ISO and then we don’t need to have it on our computer. There is no difference between a portable and installable application, you will get all the features in both applications.
In case if you wanted to download Portable you can find the link on the download page of this application.
Download Windows ISO Directly From Rufus
If you are the old visitor of our website then you surely read our article on how to download Windows 7 and Windows 10 ISO free.
We have written a complete step by step guide so if you are a new visitor then you can also read that guide by following the above URLs.
Ok, so as I mentioned above this tool is now providing direct ISO download. This is the best feature because with the help of this you don’t need to follow too many steps for ISO downloading. Everything is under your fingers you just need to choose whatever you wanted to download and it will start downloading.
Let’s check this guide to understand better how to download ISO directly using Rufus:
- Open the installed Rufus or the portable version which you download from our website.
- Now again from Boot Selection menu select Disk or ISO Image but don’t click on Select button. You then need to click on the Down Arrow button and from here select Download.
- After this you see Download instead of Select button, so just click on the Download button and it will open a pop-up window.
- In this Window, you will be asked to choose which version you wanted to download.
- After select version click Continue and then it will ask to choose the build version of that Windows and again click Continue.
- Now you will be asked to choose the edition of that Windows and then click continue.
- Then you need to select the language package and click continue, now you will be asked to select the architecture (x64 or x32).
Note: If you wanted to download ISO using Web Browser then tick that option there otherwise just click on the Download button.
That’s it your Windows ISO will start downloading in your computer and then it will automatically burn in your Pendrive as well.
Frequently Asked Questions
As we have discussed everything about this amazing tool but still there are some people who face the problem and have questions in their minds.
If you are also that person who is looking for an answer regarding Rufus tool then you should read out this FAQ list.
In this list, I have collected most asked questions from forums and QnA websites and answered them as well. You will surely find the relevant answer here if not then simply ask in the comment section, I will try my best to answer your question.
Q1) Can I use Rufus on my Mac?
No, you cannot use the Rufus tool on your Macbook or iMac because it is currently only supported by Windows 32bit and 64bit. If you want to use on your Mac OS then you need to have dual boot on your mac.
Q2) From where I can download Windows ISO?
Downloading the ISO image of a Windows is not a big deal but instead of this, some people face the problem.
There are two ways to download the ISO image file, in the first method you can directly get from our website and in the second method you can get using Rufus tool.
Even though I write a complete guide on how to download the ISO image file if you skipped my article then go above and read a full step by step guide.
Q3) Is Rufus free to use?
Yes, Rufus is an open-source program which is used to create a bootable USB drives, bootable DVDs and CDs as well.
Q4) Who is the developer of Rufus?
This amazing Windows ISO burning tool is developed by the Pete Batard of Akeo Consulting.
Q5) Can I make Bootable SD Card using this app?
Yes, of course with the help of this application you can also make a bootable SD Card as well. Also, make sure to move all your personal data to another drive before making a bootable SD Card.
Q6) Can I burn mac OS using Rufus?
Sadly, you cannot make a bootable device of the macOS system. If you are looking for a tool to make bootable macOS USB then you should check Power ISO but is paid app which costs you $22.
Q7) Can I make Kali Live USB using Rufus?
Unfortunately, you cannot make a live USB using Rufus tool, this is because there are many things that are missing in this tool and that’s why it is unable to create a live USB.
Don’t worry there is still a free tool which you can use to create a Live USB of Kali Linux, the name of this tool is Universal USB Installer.
Q8) Will Rufus activate my Windows?
No, Rufus is not developed to activate your Windows this program is only used to create a bootable USB and DVDs.
There is no doubt that Rufus Tool is the best tool to make a bootable USB flash drive and a bootable DVD or CD as well.
It is an open-source application so if you are a developer then you can also make changes in it and add or remove any feature you want. This is totally free to use you will never ever be asked to pay a penny to the developer.
It supports the major Operating Systems like Windows, Debian, Fedora, Kali Linux, Ubuntu and many other OS’s.
You can also make a bootable SD card in case you don’t have a USB Pendrive or CD/DVD. The new feature of this app is so amazing because now you can directly download the ISO image of Windows 8.1 and Windows 8 using this app.
Also, after downloading it will burn that ISO in your USB which saves a lot of your time. In case if you missed any of the parts then go above and check again because I have written a guide on how to activate Windows. Instead of this, you will get a complete guide to burning the downloaded ISO image file into USB Pendrive.
If you just loved this article then don’t forget to share it with your friends so they can also get benefits from this amazing app. Also, make sure to bookmark our website so you can get the latest articles right after we upload it on our website.
Rufus Tool is an open-source program that is used to format and create a bootable USB of Windows and Linux Operating System. It is free to use and in the latest 2020 version, you can directly download ISO by using this application.
Price Currency: USD
Operating System: Windows
Application Category: Utility